• Join Us!
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Banning Trans Fats?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Banning Trans Fats?

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Banning Trans Fats?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?

• Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      NYC Health Department Proposes Ban on Trans Fats

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

NEW YORK — Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

Doctors agree that trans fats are unhealthy in nearly any amount, but a spokesman for the restaurant industry said he was stunned the city would seek to ban a legal ingredient found in millions of American kitchens.

"Labeling is one thing, but when they totally ban a product, it goes well beyond what we think is prudent and acceptable," said Chuck Hunt, executive vice president of the city's chapter of the New York State Restaurant Association.

He said the proposal could create havoc: Cooks would be forced to discard old recipes and scrutinize every ingredient in their pantry. A restaurant could face a fine if an inspector finds the wrong type of vegetable shortening on its shelves.

The proposal also would create a huge problem for national chains. Among the fast foods that would need to get an overhaul or face a ban: McDonald's french fries, Kentucky Fried Chicken and several varieties of Dunkin' Donuts.

Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden acknowledged that the ban would be a challenge for restaurants, but he said trans fats can easily be replaced with substitute oils that taste the same or better and are far less unhealthy.

"It is a dangerous and unnecessary ingredient," Frieden said. "No one will miss it when it's gone."

A similar ban on trans fats in restaurant food has been proposed in Chicago and is still under consideration, although it has been ridiculed by some as unnecessary government meddling.

The latest version of the Chicago plan would only apply to companies with annual revenues of more than $20 million, a provision aimed exclusively at fast-food giants.

A few companies have moved to eliminate trans fats on their own.

Wendy's announced in August that it had switched to a new cooking oil that contains no trans fatty acids. Crisco now sells a shortening that contains zero trans fats. Frito-Lay removed trans fats from its Doritos and Cheetos. Kraft's took trans fats out of Oreos.

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

Walt Riker, vice president of corporate communications at McDonald's, said in a statement Tuesday that the company would review New York's proposal.

"McDonald's knows this is an important issue, which is why we continue to test in earnest to find ways to further reduce (trans fatty acid) levels," he said.

New York's health department had asked restaurants to impose a voluntary ban last year but found use of trans fats unchanged in recent surveys.

Under the New York proposal, restaurants would need to get artificial trans fats out of cooking oils, margarine and shortening by July 1, 2007, and all other foodstuffs by July 1, 2008. It would not affect grocery stores. It also would not apply to naturally occurring trans fats, which are found in some meats and dairy.

The Board of Health has yet to approve the proposal and will not do so until at least December, Frieden said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration began requiring food labels to list trans fats in January.

Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard University School of Public Health, praised New York health officials for considering a ban, which he said could save lives.

"Artificial trans fats are very toxic, and they almost surely causes tens of thousands of premature deaths each year," he said. "The federal government should have done this long ago."

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Banning Trans Fats?

Good, but when are they going to ban cigarettes? Or at least, limit cigarettes to tabacco only. They wouldn't be near asbad for you if they didn't put all that other crap in them.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

True

pincrusher is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 478
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Tired

Level

this is just one more step the government at a local level is trying to take away our freedoms. what right do they have to ban something just because it may be unhealthy for us. what will the next step be to ban all fast food places because they only serve to get people fat? this is so frucked up i cant believe im even reading about it. since when should the government have the right to tell us how we should make our food. isnt alcohol a more pressing issue and kills millions more people per year then some friggin trans fats!!!!! since we are supposed to be responsible and not overdrink when out why should we not also be given the choice not to eat trans fats if we dont want to.
      trans fats add a certain flavor to foods they are used in that cannot be duplicated or replaced. if i want to i would rather be given the choice to eat foods that i feel taste good and not be forced to eat foods i may not like just because the governmet had determined it is better for me!!!!!!!
      just trying to relive my younger years in the gym all while being in my upper 50's

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?

• Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      • Banning Trans Fats?
      Good they need to.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.